The Nest

Why AHS Should Have An Open Lunch Campus

George E. Pounds II, Staff Writer

At Albany High, the hot topic is whether or not we should be allowed an open campus, so we can leave during lunch periods. School officials claim that AHS is a “closed campus” because allowing students to leave school during lunch periods could lend to negative trends in attendance, as well as create situations where the school is liable in the event of any accidents or incidents involving students.

However, many students feel a closed campus isn’t fair, considering that they are old enough to work a job, own and operate a vehicle, hold bank accounts, and are even preparing for college. Several teachers have weighed into this argument, saying that upperclassmen should have the right to leave because other schools allow it.

Bishop Maginn High School allows seniors to leave during their lunch periods to go wherever they please, provided they get back on time. Although it’s a smaller school, students are given the responsibility of time management and can face consequences of abusing the privilege the school has provided. “As upperclassmen, students should have the maturity to go out the school during their lunch and return to school on time”, one student told The Nest.

Additionally, a Falcon Pass could have more use and be expanded to an open campus lunch pass, considering it allows you outside the courtyard and into the other cafeterias. Good academic standing and attendance are the most fundamental requirements in order to obtain a Falcon Pass. As per all rewards, they can be taken away when a student abuses the privilege, like coming back to school late.

Allowing students with a Falcon Pass to leave during lunch periods would give students incentive to do better with their schooling.  Allowing juniors and seniors with a Falcon Pass to leave school would also give parental permission and students with good academic standing a reward for doing well. The students with this pass have proven to administrators and parents that they are responsible students and should not be punished. 

In reality, students should be allowed to leave campus for lunch because they should be given the responsibilities any young adult or person in college would be given.     

• Why AHS Should Have An Open Lunch Campus

News

Midterm Takeaways

A & E

How To Communicate

A & E

Bohemian Rhapsody: A Killer Queen Movie?

A & E

Why You Need To Watch: The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

News

Midterm Observations and Predictions

School News

Boys’ Soccer Season Comes to a Startling End

A & E

Why You Need to Watch: Riverdale

Science and Technology

Run For Your Lives!

Editorial

Editorial: Why the NWEA Exam is Broken

School News

Find Your Success This School Year

You Can't Hide That Falcon Pride!