Lavar Ball: Madman or Genius?

Source%3A+TMZ

Source: TMZ

DJ Cantwell, Staff Writer

Nowadays, the name Lavar Ball comes with a serious impact every time it’s brought up. Whether you like him or not, the man has seen obvious success in the last few years of his life. Not only him, but his kids also have been at the center of media attention, with all of them winning state championships in high school for Chino Hills in California. After Lonzo made it through UCLA he was the number two overall pick in the draft and now is the new hope for the Lakers franchise. Even the shop lifting arrest of the middle child Liangelo was not enough to slow down Lavar’s famed Big Baller Brand. After he was released and returned home, Liangelo and his 16-year-old brother Lamelo both signed to play professionally for Lithuania. Even in the face of all the drama, Lavar has not given up on his sons or his brand.

Now Lavar has something else up his sleeve for the world. He plans to make his own Big Baller League for the top high school recruits. He wants to do away with the NCAA route or going overseas like his boys. Lavar wants to play the best players in his league $10,000 a month to play for him. However, the marketing genius did not forget to add in the contract requirement of the players wearing all Big Baller Brand shoes, accessories, etc. Lavar has been known to be crazy but no one ever saw this coming. Not surprisingly, Lavar also wants the logo of the league to be Lonzo going up for a dunk in order for the league to truly be Big Baller.

The man may not be as crazy as everyone believes. His plan is to have 80 players from the United States on 10 teams for his league. He even stated that he wants players coming out of high school to not have to be held hostage by the NCAA. When he says things like this he does not always get the support he may want, but the idea has some validity to it. He does not think it is right for the players in the NCAA to not be able to receive compensation for their playing for the specific college.

Lavar wants his players league wide to earn $3,000-$10,000 depending on contract negotiations and skill levels of the players. This thought of an alternative to college and giving these teens so much money is an idea that will cause people to take a side very quickly.

The official name for the league is the Junior Basketball Association. Lavar feels that this league will not have any problems getting players to join it rather than the normal route of college or going overseas for a year. He believes that a league in the US that pays its players so well will take off without a hitch.

There are many questions that can be asked about Lavar’s motives for this league. Does he simply want to promote the Big Baller Brand? Is this a good idea for teens to skip college and get so much money? Does Lavar just want the NCAA to finally start paying its players because they make so much money off them for free?

Whatever questions you ask, you probably will not get any real answers other than speculation and opinion unless you are talking directly to the man himself. No one knows what will happen but we can all agree that this is some great entertainment, and whatever comes to be, the hope is the best possible scenario for all the teens trying to make a career of playing basketball.