Varsity Boys Soccer For The Win

Courtesy of AHS The Nest

Arianna Costello, Staff Writer

The Albany Varsity Boys Soccer’s win against Troy at the falcon turf this last Tuesday night (9/28) was a spectacle to watch.

Two goals apiece from Ushindi Bahati and Farrell Leon guided Albany past Troy 6-0.  Abbas Ghulam Qadir and Shafiullah Zadran rounded out the scoring while Hassan Mohsini, Tuyshime Gefasha, and Jacob Miller added assists. Troy worked tirelessly for the entirety of the game, and goalkeeper Kip Ryan made some big saves in net. Albany’s Cesar Bermejo earned the shutout while senior captain Dorje Bon anchored the defense.

An absolute stellar game by our boys this September 28th.  There was certainly no hiding that falcon pride from the student section.  The boys varsity team did fantastic with a 6-0 win, leaving Troy in it’s dust.  There were tons of great passes, teamwork on the field, and some great assists. The head-butts just add to the cool factor.

Albany’s Record 

The week leading up to the game (10/7) was filled with hard work and preparation every practice not only for this game, but for Thursday(9/30), when the boys tied with Guilderland 1-1, and Captain Abbas Ghulam Qadir scored the goal that broke the no-scoring streak goal for the Falcons off of a wonderful dead-ball strike. A tie on Saturday(10/2) with Shaker in a 1-1 deadlock added to their immense efforts.  Also, Monday night (10/4) the Falcons won in the pouring rain with a  3-0 lead as well as a 4-0 win over Schenectady on Tuesday(10/5).  By this information we can gather that our boys varsity soccer team is the one to beat, however, the Christian Brothers Academy is second in the league, and have been holding their own all season with only one known loss.

Read this for more information on Saturday’s game (10/2) v.s. Shaker.

Albany vs. CBA

The boys played strong the whole game and did their best.  It was a very valiant fight with some great saves by Cesar Bermejo, and some great defense and offensive plays, yet, the team eventually lost to CBA.  Nonetheless, our strong record allows us to remain competitive in the Suburban Gray Council. Our Boys Varsity soccer team, lead by captains Cesar Bermejo, Abba Ghulam Qadir, and Dorje Bon this year, is currently sitting atop the suburban gray division with a lead of 7 points above 2nd place. The team had a long winning streak of 7 games won, 2 games tied, and 3 games lost, and were undefeated for 5 games up until this game,  where CBA beat Albany, and earned 3 points in the Suburban Gray Division.

It will be important to see how our team bounces back.  As Coach Weiss asserts, “The boys have a strong team ethos, and it’s been a pleasure working with them.  I’m excited about the team’s potential, and I am looking forward to continuing our successful winning tradition.”