Albany High 2.0: Follow Up

Onovu Otitigbe-Dangerfield, Co-Editor-in-Chief

We have officially been in the new building for a couple of weeks now, and it is time for a follow up. Last article I wrote about Albany High 2.0  involved the expectations and previews us students and faculty had seen about what to expect. But now that we are there, it is time to see what everyone thinks.

We have experienced so much transition over the past couple of weeks, and it has taken some adjusting. So everyone stays updated, lets see what some of those are.

There are the acquisition of new lockers, which many students have found difficult to open. Here is a tip: When you get to the last number, turn right until you hear a click and pull. It took me about ten minutes to get my locker open the first time, and twenty the next. The lockers are a lot wider, but there are tops and bottoms, and guess who has a bottom. That is the main complaint I have heard from my peers that have gotten the very unfortunate bottom locker, but it is a lot easier to fit our materials inside.

There is also the Promethean Boards that are in every classroom a student turns to. As a member of the student help desk, I know they have received training on how to use them but for the most part, we are moving right along with the technology of the future. A long time teacher states: “I just need to get used to these new Promethean Board, but I love the size of my new classroom.”

Regarding the architectural setup of the new building,  a junior at Albany High says: “I think its very easy to get around, and I enjoy the fact that its so clean.” I can second that, especially the new bathrooms. And everyone is raving about the new water fountains, which even have its own filling station for water bottles!

The back door on the first floor provides a new exit to the turf for those going outside for gym as the weather gets warmer, and for those that are participating in spring sports.

We have a lot to be grateful for in this new building, and can expect much more to come as Albany High continues to renovate and rebuild!