Boys Varsity Soccer Make A Run At Sectional Championship

Arianna Costello, Editor-in-Chief

The Boys Varsity Soccer team(7-6-3) had an fascinating game, defeating Colonie with a smash win 5-1 under the lights on Thursday the 20th. The team was pumped following their 2-1 win over Colonie Friday the 14th. This win against Colonie(3-12-2) on Friday put them directly through to the semifinals for the Section 2 Class AA playoffs. Everyone had come out to see this anticipated last home game. Within the first 15 minutes, #8, Dylan Mariscal-Derby scored the first goal of the night over the Raiders.

The team played a very aggressive game, including great teamwork and passes in the first half with lots of action on the Colonie goal, and great saves by Goalie Brian Milligan. Tuyshime Gefasha had four assists throughout the night. The Falcons ended up tied with the Raiders going into halftime. They came out of it on fire, ready to secure a win.

Twenty minutes into the second half # 7, Hassan Mohsini made an amazing goal, giving the Falcons a 2-1 lead. Mohsini then continued to make two more goals within 12 minutes, giving him the ultimate hat trick. Mohsini was on fire and the Raiders just could not stop him. The last goal of the night was made by Denis Lubila, securing a 5-1 win over the Raiders. The stands were alive with excitement, congratulating the boys on their win and advancing to meet No. 2 Shaker(12-1-2) in the quarterfinals Monday at Shaker, in the Section 2 Class AA playoffs. It starts at 7 pm, and there is a student bus, so show up and be loud. The Bison had previously beat the Falcons 2-0, so they are excited for the chance at a rematch.

When asked how the team is feeling after the amazing sectional game and how they are feeling going into the Shaker sectionals game Monday night Coach Weiss said, “I am pleased with the win. We showed a stronger desire to win, specifically in the second half, which bodes well going forward. The boys and I are excited to have another game against Shaker; another opportunity to “put right” a result that went against us in league match.”

Winning the last home game of the year, and first semifinals game of the season was a fantastic feeling for the team and school! Congrats to the boys for a great game, and good luck in their game Monday at 7 pm vs. Shaker!