Opinion: Albany High School’s Path to Success

Mazin Chater, Staff Writer

Success: an intricate word that is often improperly used. What defines success? One individual might attain a ninety-five percent test grade and be ecstatic; they have succeeded. Another might earn the very same score, yet be disappointed that they didn’t achieve higher; they have failed. This suggests that success is subjective, and there are no standards for it. In other words, success is where you set the finish line.

At Albany High School, there are many skewed fantasies over whether that finish line has been crossed. Over the past several years, the High has been significantly increasing in graduation rates. Being perhaps the most crucial piece of information in terms of high school statistics, this is inherently a positive change. At the 2016 graduation ceremonies, multiple figures touted the favorable data, citing them as successful. Additionally, numerous initiatives taken under the administration of Principal Getto were applauded and widely received as successful. But to what magnitude are these classifications realistic? Let us delve further into the essence of this notion, examining primarily two pillars: hall sweeps and graduation rates.


Initially, the introduction of hall sweeps was largely successful in ensuring students were in classes after the late bell rung. Students who remained stationary in hallways were ushered along by hall monitors and placed in the auditorium to meet their fate.

Sadly, the efficiency of hall sweeps has declined enormously. So far in the 2017-2018 school year, they have been performed only a handful of times, demonstrating the lack of productivity and purpose they once held. Those with proper qualification are eventually going to recognize that something must change.

Even though it is quite painless and sensible to modestly acknowledge the setbacks generated by the decay of hall-sweeps, they are silently permitted to prosper. Instead of a delay after the late bell, why aren’t sweeps done immediately? Why don’t hall monitors and administrators enforce the statutes and escort repeat offenders to the auditorium? Why is it so challenging to be an institution of education: a school, rather than a playground?

Truthfully, this matter shouldn’t be debatable. The fundamental goals of a hall sweep are distinct: ensure students are in classrooms, and track and deal with those who aren’t. Thus, there is no subjectivity in attesting that all other approaches are purely nonsensical.


In 2014, the graduation rate at Albany High School was 50%. The following year, in 2015, it rose to 53%. Just last year, it skyrocketed upwards by 5%, reaching a total 58%. Much of this development can be accredited to programs such as APEX, which provide students with opportunities to improve their grade.

Unfortunately, many of the objectives left by the program have gone south. In simpler terms, many students take part in the program not merely to increase a mildly sour grade, but to essentially salvage their grade from utter destruction.

The fifty-five minimum quarterly average is intrinsically following the same set of principles. For those unaware, students at Albany High are automatically given a 55% on their grade if they earn anything below that mark.

Compare this same understanding of the graduation rate towards the economy. Even the least economically-sound individuals will acknowledge that an expansion of minimum wage will cause inflation. In an inflated economy, commodities typically cost more, and your bigger pockets hardly mean anything; a meal still costs the same percentage of your income as before. Hence, you’re not actually making more money, you’re just lowering the value of it. 


These points are not to suggest that success is unattainable, in fact, quite the contrary. Recognizing that there are only no straightforward paths to achieving a complex goal is the first step in ensuring a complete solution. Understanding these simple criteria will hopefully place Albany High School’s ideals towards respect, education, and of course, success.