Heartbreak at Soccer Sectionals

Aidan McKenna, Staff Writer

The first sectionals game on the Albany High turf was nothing short of amazing last Thursday night. The boy’s varsity soccer team fought hard all season to earn a home sectionals berth and they were excited to play in front of a rowdy Falcons’ Nest. Albany drew Niskayuna in the match itself, a team with which they tied earlier in the season.

The energy was electric in the crowd as well as on the field, and as the game started it was evident this game was going to be something special. A generally defensive effort from both sides went along with stellar goal play from Albany High junior William Bulmer, who seemed to make save after save. However, it was Nisky who would strike first in the first half leaving the score 0-1 going in to halftime.

Junior Marcello Fazio supplied the equalizer 11 minutes into half number two with a great assist by fellow junior Lucas Young. The game’s score would see no change in score for the remainder of the second half  due to some great goalkeeping from both sides. This brought the game to a “golden goal”, two sudden death 15 minute halves.

In the first half of overtime the ball stayed around Albany’s end of the field, allowing Nisky to get several shots on goal, however they were denied time and time again by Bulmer, leading to another 15 minutes half.

But the Falcons wouldn’t be able to hold Niskayuna for much longer. Already missing two starters, including senior captain Nick Joslin, and with just a few minutes left in the half, Nisky sent a ball too high for the Albany junior. As it hit the back of the net, the Nest went quiet along with many players dropping to their knees. A tragic ending to the game shouldn’t take away from the amazing season the Falcons had, which provided a source of excitement as well as pride for Albany High School, as evident by the chant that rose from the crowd at the game’s end: “We still love you.” I think I speak for everyone when I say “thank you” for a great season. We truly love and appreciate everything you did for our school this year.