The Legend of Tom Healey

Fiona Leary, Managing Editor

Many mortals trek through life in a relentless search for happiness, as if it’s a particular destination we are trying to reach or a checkpoint we are trying to pass. Happiness is often thought of as an ultimatum; a life goal we aspire to achieve.  Tom Healey didn’t have this mentality. For Tom Healey, happiness was a road traveled, not a destination.

Not a day went by in which Tom Healey failed to smile. He lived each day like it was a gift. Healey taught at Albany High for 23 years, educating students in both US history and philosophy. Before that he worked as a bicycle messenger, a prison ward, a flourmill worker, a steel mill worker in Russia. Yet, when queried by students, “What was your favorite job, Mr. Healey?,” the answer Tom Healey gave was always the same, in his deep, dulcet mumble: “Teaching,” which was typically followed by a wholehearted chuckle and an intriguing anecdote.

By day, Tom Healey was an educator and a former working class hero, but by night, he embodied an entirely different persona: Healey was an animated musician. Tom Healey was the front man for The Tom Healey Band, a blues group that hailed from Albany, in which he played guitar, harmonica, and sang. The Tom Healey Band released two albums, Pearl Street (2001), followed by Tough Dog (2006). Healey’s talents resulted in his induction into the New York Blues Hall of Fame, a major feat for your average history teacher. Then again, Tom Healey was anything but average.

Heartbreakingly,  Healey’s audacious adventure came to a bitter halt when, at the age of 58, he passed away at his home in Albany on the evening of July 21st, a mere month into retirement.

As the devastating news of Healey’s passing spread, social media erupted with a slew of heartfelt posts from students and peers commemorating Healey and his impact. Posts were made in an appreciation for him as not only a teacher or a friend or a musician, but as an inspiration.

“Healey was the best kind of teacher. He didn’t tell you what to believe, but gave you the knowledge and experience to decide for yourself,” tweeted Olivia Parker, one of Healey’s former IB theory of knowledge students.

“I want to say that he made a positive impact on everyone he met. He taught us that there was more to life than anyone ever imagined… He lived fast, died young, and left a handsome corpse… there will most definitely be many Tom Healey tribute bands.  His “No BS” attitude really helped us realize what it meant to live a life where everything wasn’t handed to us. He represented Albany High well and made sure that we did too,” lamented Lily Regan, a student in his last-ever 3rd period AP US history class.

“As a teacher, he was phenomenal. I’ve never been more engaged and interested in a class. Outside of teaching, he mentored me on a lot of things. He gave great advice and he was always someone I could relate to. Healey was just a well-rounded guy. A great teacher, a great musician, and a great friend,” recounted Denis Leon, former AP US history student.

Another one of Healey’s beloved past students, Isabel Pottinger, stated, “He was one of those teachers that could look you in the eye and tell you were up to no good.” On a more serious note, she added, “Easy to respect, easy to love, hard to even think about a world where I won’t get to talk to him again. In all honesty, I loved him. One of the best things about him was that he didn’t talk to you like you were a kid, but still kind of reminded you [that] you had a ways to go before adulthood.”

Lastly, a student from this past school year took great influence from Healey. “Mr. Healey was a very enjoyable teacher, not only due to his vast knowledge and stories, but also through his joy of sharing knowledge. He was one teacher who I frequently stayed after class to visit. He was the first adult besides my parents with whom I discussed the films of the French new wave, a small detail which brought me considerable joy. He was also open to discussing music with me, and how different the scene has become since he was young.  Most importantly he helped me discover my joy for learning history and helped me boost my academic confidence. He frequently reminded us that we know the material and that we should avoid being nervous in the final stretch before the AP exam. He was a very interesting and inspiring individual to me and many other students,” stated Livio Fasullo, senior.

Healey greatly affected his fellow colleagues, also.

“I am heartbroken about Tom to the point that words are not coming to me right now. I think everyone at AHS loved having him around because he was so funny and uplifting. I loved having him stop in to visit with me daily, probably because I knew he would make me laugh. Although I did keep my distance far enough from him so if his tea splashed I wouldn’t be wearing it all day. I was so lucky to be given a classroom by him for his last few years at [Albany High School]. I will miss seeing him play out because he always made time to come out and speak to me on his break. I was always lucky to get a very sweaty kiss…[laughs],” said Christa Brown, AHS math teacher, and close friend.

It is without a doubt that Healey will be greatly missed, in and out of school, but it is definite that his memory will live on through music and teachings.  The low muttering voice of Tom Healey will never be forgotten because in moments of despair you can always turn on one of his records and listen to some upbeat blues; an oxymoron I didn’t know could exist until I heard the Tom Healey Band.

Although Healey enjoyed only a month of his retirement, his life did not start when his teaching career ended. He’d been truly living the whole time, not only his life, but he’d been living his dream.

The staff at The Nest would like to dedicate our work this year to Tom Healey.  We were all touched by his compassion and humor. He will be missed, but never forgotten.