New Field, New Beginning For Albany High

albanyschools.org

The Falcons warming up on our brand new turf field.

Maria Ross, Staff Writer

The newly built Albany High School Athletic Football Field is now hosting the home football games for the rest of the season! The building of the football field was backed by teachers, students, the community, and most importantly, the Board Of Education. Two additional important figures in the development of the football field plan are principle Ms. Getto and Kathleen Ryan, the Athletic Director.

Kathleen Ryan, Athletic Director, has been working for the school district for 10 years. She is very excited that we have our own field on campus. She also said that the field would not just be used for football.  Lacrosse, Soccer, and homecoming will also have access to the brand new turf.

Ms. Ryan also said,  “this was the first time kids were happy and participating in gym class”.  Some members of the community have judged the price tag on the new school construction, including the new field, because we have a graduation rate of 50%.  They ask, why would we build a new school with those rates of failure? 

Many feel that new facilities will make kids feel engaged in their education. The primary goal of this field is physical education, and a boost of school spirit.  The turf isn’t just for jocks it’s for every kid in this school!