AHS Essay Contest Winner Shares Her “Journey”

Brooks Ginnan, Editor-in-Chief

In November, following a talk that filled the library from author and Holocaust survivor Marion Blumenthal Lazan, Albany High librarians launched an essay contest, entitled “What’s Your Story?” The objective of the contest was for students to pen stories chronicling experiences that have made them who they are today.

A panel of judges made up of English teachers was tasked with reading over the stories, and the winner was Phoebe Morse (pictured), with her story “Journey.” We at The Nest have the pleasure of running Phoebe’s story, which can be read in full below.

“Marion Blumenthal Lazan. Her Holocaust survival story has inspired me to tell my story. Before now, I’ve never told my story to anyone besides my family, but if she can tell her story, I can tell mine too, right? It happened just over 9 years ago. This is the story of my journey as an adopted child, from preparation, to adventures in China, and finally the United States. It’s the story how I met my new mother, new father, and new older brothers and finally my new younger sisters who were already at my new home waiting for my arrival. I remember it as if it were just yesterday.

It was the year of 2005 and I was just 7. I didn’t know what was going on until I left my orphanage in Mianyang, China, and first met my new family. I think the aunties tried to help me understand what was going to happen, but I just couldn’t. I remembered at the orphanage one of my aunties called for me during my learning session. I didn’t know if I was in trouble or maybe did something I was not supposed to do. When I went to her, she read me a letter that was from my new family that told how they were excited to meet me and it made me feel welcome, even if I had never met them.At first, I didn’t know what was happening. What was going on? Why are they reading me letters from unknown people? I was 7, so of course I couldn’t understand. How could I understand?!

One day, I was told that I had to do something away from the orphanage. Going outside of the gates of the orphanage, I didn’t expect that at all. We usually never really got to leave the orphanage. My auntie took me and we went to see the outside world. I followed her and we ended up in a photo shop. I remember changing into different outfits that the photographers had me wear. I had to stand still and smile at the camera. I wore different clothes and kept on smiling.

After, I came to the U.S., my dad made a photo album about me. I looked through it and I saw me! I saw me wearing different clothes and smiling at the camera at that photo shoot from a long time ago. So that’s where the pictures went to! To my new family.

Before my departure, I had to learn how to write and solve simple math problems. I remember I had to write in Chinese characters the numbers, my name, and much more. I had to write each character a number of times until I did it correctly and neatly. That classroom was where the teacher read me the letter. For math, I had to go to one of the teacher’s office. I had to go there every afternoon. Every time, before I would go in, the teachers had already written out all the math problems on a writing notebook. For me to solve them, she gave me 10 brown small rectangular blocks. I never really wanted to go, but there was a treat for afterward. One beautiful sunny day, we left early to go get a fresh watermelon slice. The watermelon came from a merchant from outside the gates who sometimes would come in and give everyone from the orphanage a slice of melon. They tasted so sweet and crunchy.

The day that I left the orphanage, I was woken up very early by one of the aunties, who was going with me to meet my new family. Both Auntie and the doctor of the orphanage travelled with me. I wore a black and white striped dress with socks that had a white bead on the side and red shoes. I still have the outfit today. I can’t believe how small I was back then! We stopped after a while so I could eat breakfast. I had soup with noodles, meat, and vegetables. It was delicious.

When we arrived at the place where I was going to get picked up, auntie and the doctor told me to stay in the car while they went to meet the family. I was very nervous. I looked through the car windows and saw four people. I saw an older man wearing a green shirt and shorts. Then, I saw next to him, a woman in a pink tank top with shorts. Lastly, I saw two younger boys. One of them was wearing a blue T-shirt with a bunny on it. The other boy was wearing a yellow shirt and he had long hair down to his shoulders!

My auntie came back to the car and told me to come out and meet my new family. I immediately grew very shy. As I hesitantly walked towards them, I had my hands behind my back. The woman (mother) was happily crying, while the man (father) and the boys (brothers) were smiling wide at me. They each hugged me. The younger boys each gave me one of their bracelets. A green, a red, and a yellow one. I was standing in front of my mom while she gave me a stuffed animal. I later found out it was called a pig. She then showed me pictures of my new little sisters, who were at home at the time.

When it was time for Auntie and the doctor to leave, I immediately went over and started to cry. I didn’t know that they were going to come back the next day to finish with the paperwork. I tried to stay with my Auntie, but she told me that she would see me again. I reluctantly let go. I didn’t want to be left alone with these strangers. I barely even know them! When she and the doctor came back again the next day, I was very happy to see Auntie again, but I knew that when they finished with the paperwork, it would be my last time seeing her for a long time.

On my first day with my new family, I went on two rides. I went on a mini airplane with my brothers and a boat ride with my father and brother. First, I went on the mini airplane ride. I sat with my oldest brother while the younger one sat in front. I was very scared. My first time off the ground! I wouldn’t look down. I did once seeing my parents waving at us. That was when I found out that I have a small fear of heights.
On the same day, I went for a mini boat ride with my father and brothers. I sat with my father in the back while the boys sat in the front. We hopped onto a red boat. We went for a little bit until suddenly the boat came to a complete stop and nothing could make it move forward. What’s happening?! Are we going to get hurt? Could the boat sink? I am spending less than a day with my new family and this happens?! I was very scared and started freaking out in my mind. Something bad could happen or maybe I would get in trouble. Thankfully, a worker came out with a yellow boat and we switched. I watched the worker fix the boat as we trailed away with my brothers steering the new one. On the ride back, I saw my mother waving at me and laughing.

While sightseeing in Chengdu, my family had a Chinese guide to help travel around the city. Her name was Emily. Since, I couldn’t speak my family’s language (English), I was able to speak with her in Chinese. Along with her, we had a driver, Li Sher Fu, whose daughter also spent some days with us. The daughter was a little bit older than me. I remembered that I would follow her a lot as I got used to having her with us. She was my jiê jiê (older sister) at the time and it was nice to have a Chinese friend that I could talk to. It was hard to say goodbye to Emily and jiê jiê, but I had to leave to be one step closer to home.

We had to travel to Guangzhou, another city in China, where I met more people! Their names were Nicki and Dreamy. I immediately got into shy mode again. Later, I found out that the people whom I met were friends with my family, through my youngest sister’s adoption. My family and I went to Dreamy’s school where she teaches English. My parents talked to a class about my little sisters and life before me joining their home. While being shy, I saw some other students from other classes coming to the classroom window and watching the presentations. It was a little crazy with the amount of crowds. Nicki gave us a tour around the school and I saw a big gym where the students were playing badminton. After that day, for dinner, my family and I met Dreamy’s parents and they gave us gifts to take back home.

While in China, I saw some amazing places and animals. In Chengdu, I saw panda bears with my family, Emily, and jiê jiê. That was my first time seeing them up close! They were big, had big black eyes, black and white fur, and sharp teeth! I remember while watching the panda bears, a worker in a special Panda Sanctuary uniform, a blue shirt, pants, and purple boots came out to be with the panda bears. A baby panda was chasing her.

On my last day in China, my family and I walked on the Great Wall of China! It was very big and went on a far way! We walked a good amount of distance under the beautiful hot sun. I was amazed by the structure. I find that the Great Wall was a great way to end my trip in China before I crossed the Atlantic Ocean to my new home in America. My father says I was being difficult that day, but I remember it as a great day!

As I spent more time with my family, I got used to them. And by the end of the trip, I could smile at them. I accepted them as my family. Each of them became very special to me. I couldn’t wait to meet my new younger sisters. I knew that I was taken care of and I was special to them and I still am special to them.

Marion Blumenthal Lazan, who was willing to share her story, has inspired me to share my story, and I’m thankful to share mine. Do you have a story to share too?”