The Need for Recycling in Schools

Naya Kennedy, Staff Writer

Climate change is a very real and present threat,  a truth that has been acknowledged by scientists time and time again. Although  many of us may feel helpless against the looming threat of a climate disaster, we must combat this by taking whatever actions we can to stop or limit the largest threats against our environment. 

Recycling is one of the first basic steps that is taught to many children about protecting and preserving our environment. However, Albany High School and many high schools in the area lack these essential recycling systems.

Recycling reduces the amount of garbage that ends up in landfills and incineration plants. Recycling also allows us to reuse aluminum, paper, glass, plastics, and other materials, which  reduces the negative impacts that the extraction and the processing to create these materials tolls on the environment.

Recycling is a small first step that schools can take to live up to the promise of education to shape its students into conscious world citizens. By not having a school recycling system, our school fails to uphold one of the central goals of education, which is to build a better future. 

Our lack of action toward helping the environment is not neutrality, it serves as a statement of our lack of awareness and progress as a school. By not taking any actions it shows that we do not care about our students’ future after they leave the halls of Albany High School. As a student at Albany High School, I can see the effort put forth by many of the teachers, administration, and staff into building a better future, but by not taking this step in caring for the environment, we do not show this effort. 

One issue holding back the creation of an Albany High recycling system is the under staffing of the maintenance department due to employee shortages. Our environmental progress, as a result of the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, has been a backwards movement instead of forwards. While this does undoubtedly cause issues in the ability to implement a recycling system, this is still an issue that warrants discussion. 

To create a more environmentally friendly and sustainable school and future we must advocate for  real change. Recycling reduces the amount of garbage that ends up in landfills and incineration plants. Recycling also allows us to reuse aluminum, paper, glass, plastics, and other materials, which  reduces the negative impacts that the extraction and the processing to create these materials has on the environment. These issues can be discussed with administration or members of the Board of Education. Do your part in helping to mitigate the worst effects of the climate crisis for our future generations by taking steps to create a recycling system for Albany High School.