AHS Trivia Team Sets New Personal Record

Adam Aleksic, Editor-in-Chief

The Albany High School Varsity Masterminds Trivia Team outperformed all expectations in the Albany Leagues playoffs on April 25th, just missing out on the clinching of a position to play on a statewide level.

There are five high school trivia leagues in Albany with thirty teams total, and the top two teams in each league got to advance to these semifinals. AHS got first in League 2, with a 10-2 win-loss record and 1,905 points total (by comparison, the second place team from Waterford also moved up, but with an 8-4 record and a mere 1,640 points). Already well poised to make a serious challenge, the varsity team passed the first round of the playoffs with a resounding triumph. A loss in the second game meant that one more such defeat would eliminate us from continuing, so in the third round the varsity team pulled off a close win.

Tensions were high as the team entered the fourth round, where it would be decided whether we would move on. Led by Matan Adler, Liam Leary, Jacob Citone, and David Powell (all pictured below, from left to right), and aided by Erin Lippitt, Juliette Geraghty, Lauren Wiley, Francis Criscione, and myself, we ended up getting completely hammered by Duanesburg. However, everyone left in high spirits as they had all had a very good time.

“I’m brimming with pride,” said Mr. Larry Bizzarro, the outgoing Masterminds coach, who outright denied that there were any scandals concerning the team (there aren’t). “It’s been a lot of fun, a lot of laughs…” he continued, radiating exuberance. “I had a really good four years and I’ll miss the seniors.” Leary, Citone, Powell, and Wiley are all leaving this year. The team clearly felt the same way about Mr. Bizzarro: at the conclusion of the match, they handed him a thank-you card. “Where’s the money?” said a disappointed Bizzarro.

Albany High decidedly improved from last year, when we were the ones with the 8-4 record. The funny thing is that no one on the team is serious: while virtually all other schools hold practices, have team shirts, and busing, we come unprepared in T-shirts and each other’s cars, yet do so outstandingly well. This is the third year in a row the team has reached the playoffs, and at least the second time it’s been commended on the Albany High homepage.

Junior Varsity Masterminds finished the league 12-0 with 2,200 points, lead by myself, Jennifer Powell, Jason Eveleth, Nicholas Hillengas, Alex Sipos, and Ferit Brace. Another strong team is expected to be assembled next year, as new scorers enter, and with luck and skill we’ll end up in states next year!